Noticed bruise on upper leg and pelvic region after swimming. What could it be?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, thanks for your help! Yesterday I went to the pool and had a very vigourous 1 mile swim, 72 laps with flip turns. When I got out of the pool, I noticed a purple bruise on my upper leg and pelvic region, left side. In the crease of my leg between pelvic bruise and upper leg bruise, there is no bruise. I looks like a burst blood vessel. It does not hurt at all, but is definitely ugly! Any thoughts?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

From description it seems that you might developed exercise induced bruise.Intense exercise(in your case vigourous swimming) that puts a lot of stress on the legs and pelvis region can lead to bruising, particularly if you are performing the exercise for a long period of time.

Most bruises will go away on their own without treatment. If the bruising is more severe, resting your legs and elevating them above the heart can help the blood from pooling. Wrapping the bruise with a bandage can help speed up the healing process. If you have a bruise now and again as the result of intense exercise, it shouldn't be cause for concern. However, bruising that occurs as the result of light exercise and no obvious trauma is cause for concern.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.