Noticed bruise and red streak around injected area. What is going on? Concerned

Thank you Dr. Grief. My 21-year-old son is a college student who donated blood plasma recently. The needle was put in to far and then pulled back. He has a large area of bruising -- extending several inches both directions from the inside of his elbow area. Today he developed a red streak about two to three inches long extending toward his hand in the middle of the inside of his forearm where the bruising (now yellowish) is the worst. He is resistant to having it seen. Can you tell me what might be going on and if it is urgent? Thank you again.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It is not unusual for a venepuncture site to leak for a while if not pressed adequately following removal of the needle. This can explain the "bruising" but several inches is too large an area.

I am worried about the "yellowish" colouration which you are mentioning. Without having a look I can only presume that it is getting infected and needs to be taken care of immediately. You may like to upload a photograph of the area by using the facility provided on this site.

Kindly consult a doctor immediately who may put him on:
1. Anti-inflammatory medicine
2. Antibiotic, if necessary

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarification that you may need or share any information regarding this problem.

Wishing your son an early recovery.