Noticed brownish spots on inner ankles. Have slightly high blood pressure. Any thoughts?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello I am a 37 yr old male. Over the past year I have noticed that I have these brownish spots on my inner ankles and the hair is also gone. There is no pain but I have noticed these small spots have started to go up my chin/calf. I am 6ft 1 230lbs and I have slight high blood pressure, I am not on any medication. Any idea what this could be?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the description it seems you are having progressive pigmented purpuric dermatosis.
It is characterised by cayenne pepper like spots over ankles and calf. It is basically an inflammation of capillaries which leads to leaky blood vessels and extravasation of red blood cells and hemosiderin pigment. These lesions might be itchy sometimes and lead to hair loss in localised areas.

To treat the same, application of steroid creams like mometasone cream and intake of oral vitamin c supplements might help.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Noticed brownish spots on inner ankles. Have slightly high blood pressure. Any thoughts? 13 minutes later
Thank you.. Do you know what the cause of this is from?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It is seen commonly in middle aged males and in most cases cause is unknown. Gravitational dependency, occupation involving long standing hours, venous hypertension, recent viral infection or intake of drugs like aspirin etc have been implicated for the same.

It is not a severe disease and may take time to resolve.
Hope that helps. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.

Ps should there be no query, we may close the discussion.