Noticed brown dry patch on collar bone, rib cage and stomach area. Prognosis?

One morning, I noticed a brown, flat dry XXXXXXX near my collar bone. sorta like a dry, patch XXXXXXX then a few others on my torso, some flat, but others if you look real close there are tiny, clusters of smaller bumps, I can feel when I run my hand across them. not a whole lot, but don't know where they came from. just brown reddish-brown some circular, mostly oval, flat, dry patches of bumps. A few are close together, than some randomly apart, but the majority have started near my rib cage and stomach area.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 4 hours later
Hello..Welcome to HCM!
Thanks for sharing your query with us.

From what you have described above , there can be a few possibilities for the brown marks :
1) Warts : These are viral growths; may start from being single and appear in various parts of the body gradually spreading.

2) Nevus : These may be congenital or acquired; appear as usually a pigmented area on the skin that is either flat or raised.Nevi may be of various types and forms depending on their cell of origin.
DYSPLASTIC NEVI (atypical moles) are unusual benign moles that may resemble melanoma.

3) Fungal infection of the skin: Some fungal infections produce brownish patches on the skin.

I will be able to guide you better if you can upload a few pictures (in good resolution) of all the sites affected.You can send them to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN.DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.
I would also like to know if they produce any symptoms like itching?
How long back have they appeared ?

I will be happy to answer your follow-up queries .
Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Noticed brown dry patch on collar bone, rib cage and stomach area. Prognosis? 3 hours later
If it makes it better I did get a runny nose followed with a head cold, but its getting better, I only noticed those marks from 3 days ago, when I notice I may be getting a cold.
hello..thanks for following up.

In certain cases , viral infections lead to skin eruptions which are also accompanied by prodromal symptoms, systemic features like fever/chill/cold symptoms etc.
From what you describe ,it does not seem to be any such eruption ;however if you can send in the pictures ,I will be able to comment on them in a better way.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Noticed brown dry patch on collar bone, rib cage and stomach area. Prognosis? 47 minutes later
Dr. Biswas,
I just emailed those pictures to the email address you told me to, the subject is Attn: Dr. Tanushree Biswas
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 2 hours later

I have gone through your pictures uploaded.

From what i see in the pictures ,it appears to be a macular rash with oval reddish patches on your trunk.Although the pictures are not very clear, I would like to state that there is a possibility that they are due to Pityriasis rosea.

You can correlate more with the pictures in this URL.:

Here an symptoms.Usually we see a 'herald patch' present in this entity ,which is a single,large oval patch that remains for 7-14 days before the onset of the more generalized kind of rash.

P.rosea is thought to be caused by a viral infection. Usually it is asymptomatic ,however you may have an itching sensation sometimes.It is self limited and resolves on 3-8 weeks.

I would suggest you visit you dermatologist for a confirmation of the diagnosis.Topical calamine lotion and steroid lotions fasten the recovery.However, this should be started after a confirmatory diagnosis is made and in most cases ,your dermatologist can diagnose this by simple clinical examination.

Other similar eruptions occur in guttate psoriasis and certain drug eruptions.

I hope this will answer your query.Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Wishing you good health,