Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed boils in mouth after chewing tobacco. Having swollen cheeks. What should I do?

I have quit chewing tobacco. It has been 6 days now. First two days were fine but after that i started getting boils in my mouth. One has become big and painful and my left cheek from outside looks swollen. Is there anything to worry. What should i do?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ulcerations, bacterial and viral infections. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to the XXXXXXX Forum, Its very nice to hear that you have quit with the tobacco chewing habit. I would like to ask you for how long you had the habit? The contents of tobacco are most potent carcinogens, this causes mucosal fibrosis which will cause difficulty in opening of the mouth, it can present from a simple ulcer to a beningn lesion. This is confirmed by a biopsy report. I would suggest you to consult to an Oral Surgeon immediately and get the checkup done. An OPG radiograph and an Biopsy report is required. Treatment depend upon the type of lesion this could be a simple ulcerations or allergic reaction, could also be due to bacterial and viral infection. At home take light and easily swallowing food like semisolid, avoid hot and spicy foodstuffs. I would encourage you to completely stop tobacco chewing habit. Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. Apply topical analgesics and anesthetic cream over the affected area. Start with the course of multivitamin suplements. Hope you find this as informative and helpful. If you have any further queries i will be glad to answer. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.