Noticed blue spots on face, like bruises and visible veins hands. Blood pressure elevated. Suggestions?

This is for my friend. A woman of 64. She had one bottle of beer in the evening and befor going to bed noticed blue spots on her face, like brouises, also the veins on her hands were sharply visible, otherwise she was OK and the condition did not last long, her blood preassure was elevated.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare magic
Alcohol is known to cause transient flushing of skin due to release of histamine by a break down product. But it is usually red in color. Veins of the hands became more prominent maybe because of increased blood pressure combined with the increased peripheral circulation due to alcohol.
Blue coloured transient spots are unusual. It is better to rule out methhemoglobinemia or cyanosis. Is she on any medications which you know of?

I would recommend a complete blood count including Hemoglobin, Total and differential counts and Methhemoglobin levels.
Hope this helped.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.