Noticed blue spot inside labia minora. What could this be?

I noticed a small blue/purple spot on the inside of my labia minora - it is flat, no lumps and not sore. I am 57 years old. Could this be a Mongolian Spot or something more sinister. It actually looks like a bruise.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later

Small blue/purple spot inside the labia minora is because of irritation caused by tight underwear, yeast (fungal) infection or because of Mongolian spot(increased melanocyte).

You should consult a gynecologist because of your age sudden development of any spot need evaluation to rule out any malignant cause.

Treatment is avoiding tight underwear, maintain proper hygiene and evaluate whether it is increasing in size or not.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Noticed blue spot inside labia minora. What could this be? 8 minutes later
I don't know how long it has been there. I only noticed it when I was waxing for the first time, usually I go to a beautician. If I hadn't been waxing, I wouldn't have known it was even there. Thank you for your quick and thorough reply Dr XXXXXXX
Sincere thanks, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 12 minutes later

Often benign condition go unnoticed since they hardly cause any problems. No, way can we know since how long they have been present.

That being said, you need not worry. Just watch on it and observe for colour changes, size changes and whether or not you have pain. You should consider visiting your doctor if these changes are noticed.

Hope I have answered your query, If any further questions please let me know, I am pleased to answer it.

Dr. Richa
Follow-up: Noticed blue spot inside labia minora. What could this be? 2 hours later
Thanks so much Dr XXXXXXX I will ask my GP to check it on my next visit, later in the month. I will also take a photo to compare and watch for any changes over time.
Thank you, you have been most helpful.
Have a good day,
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 9 minutes later

Thank you so much and I will be pleased to address your queries in future too.
Wishing you a Good Health.

Have a nice day.
Dr. Richa