Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed bloody tissue discharge from urine. History of kidney stone. What is causing this?

I have had bloody tissue being discharged from my urine. It happened once about nine months back and looked like a stone. I have history of kidney stones. Also my semen has had blood in it periodically off and on for about a year. I do have some back pain however i do have had muscular back pain off and on for years. Would stones cause this problem? My older brother has had prostate cancer.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
What you passed in urine would have been either blood clot or a small stone.
Musculo skeletal pain is unrelated to the stone.
Blood in semen is usually due to uncontrolled blood pressure or inflammation/ infection of the prostate or seminal vesicles. If persistent, it is better to take medical advice.Stones DO NOT cause blood in urine.
PSA is normal and hence there is nothing to worry at present.
Since there is family history of prostate cancer, it would be essential to check PSA every year.