Noticed blood while wiping. Having abdominal pain. Test showed normal. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello I am a 33 year old male and I noticed blood on the tp when I wiped after pooping. Went to the doc and he did a rectal examination and said he did not see blood. Also I have been having cramps in my abdomen so he gave me an x-ray and said I was constipated so he sent me in for a colonoscopy just to be sure the doctor who did it said everything looked good that was in aug. and every now and then I would get a mild pain in my lower abdomen and I still do but now I am starting to see blood again they ask me if my stool has changed shape and it has its XXXXXXX shape but not all the time but most of the time and I go at-least once a day this is making me very nervous and kind of scared
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Normally bleeding from the anus, rectum, and the sigmoid colon tend to be bright red, whereas bleeding from the transverse colon and the right colon tend to be dark red or maroon colored.
Passing blood in the stools can be due to-
1. Anal fissures- An anal fissure is a crack or tear in the skin of the anal canal. Anal fissures may cause severe periodic pain after defecation but with chronic fissures pain intensity is often less. Hemorrhoids are likely associated.
2. Diverticulosis- Diverticulosis is formation of pouches in the lining of the large intestinal epithelium, due to the weakened areas.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
4.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyps, etc.
You need to consult your gastroenterologist for further investigations like colonoscopy and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.