Noticed blood spots while cleaning nose, sneezing or coughing very aggressively. Worried

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, When I clean my Nose or sneez or cough very aggressively i get to see blood spots. Its not on a regular basis but once in a while. I am worried.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
Relax. There is no need for worry. This is a common occurence....especially as it is once in a while. This is due to the rupture of the superficial capillaries in & around the external nares' mucous membrane.
The only reason you need to be worried is if you have been in close contact with anyone suffering from tuberculosis & you yourself have productive cough over an extended period with or without fever & night sweats..doubt very much this is the case.
So recapituating, relax...it is quite a normal phenomenon..be more gentle with the blow-job ;-) Cheers & have a nice day...eish you good health always.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
XXXXXXX Hopspital,
Bangalore, India

Follow-up: Noticed blood spots while cleaning nose, sneezing or coughing very aggressively. Worried 4 minutes later
Hello Doc,

Thanks for your feedback. One more thing, I am a smoker too. Does it have anything to do with that?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 36 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Your wife would dearly like me to say Yes :) However, in your case would appear unlikely. Have you had any feeling of tiredness, weight loss, cough, fever , chest pain..anything to suggest any illness? If so, please just do a simple ESR blood test. It would take approximately 2-3 hrs to report as the tube is to be left standing for an hour to get accurate results. Let me know the value. Basically, it is a non-specific test that will pick up more than it leaves out..this will help clear the air & give you a clue as to 'if' further tests are required! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Noticed blood spots while cleaning nose, sneezing or coughing very aggressively. Worried 14 minutes later
Hello Doc,
I have never undergone any kind of prolonged tiredness, weight loss, cough, fever or chest pain etc... However it was just a thought i wanted to get clarified with a doc.

Hi there.
Apologies as have had a busy morning thus far @ the Hospital.
ESR stands for Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate & is a general blood test costs some 50-100Rs & is commonly done at any small lab.
Good on you if no illness..then, NOTHING to worry about...understand the thot process & concern of a smoker ;-) Cheers & Good Luck! Do close this query if done here else, it reflects as a follow-up question..tx.
Do hope this answered your queries & calmed the nerves..
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD