Noticed blood on underwear. What could be the cause?

Excellent

Question
I have on 2 occasions noticed blood on my underwear in the area of my penis. What are the possible causes of this?
s
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Guru 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Causes for blood in underwear may be due to cystitis ( urinary bladder infection), kidney stones, enlarged prostate gland(prostomegaly), minor trauma etc.

However, some serious and malignant causes include prostate cancer, bladder cancer when it is painless and in elderly people who are chronic smokers.

Investigations like complete urine examination, ultrasound abdomen/pelvis need to be done. If there is suspicion, cystoscopy is required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health!

Follow-up: Noticed blood on underwear. What could be the cause? 27 minutes later
Thank you Doc. Are there any STDs that would be the cause of blood discharge as I've described? A few days ago I had sex with a new partner but we used a condom, and no fellatio was done to me, nor cunnilingus by me to her.

I've been dehydrated recently. and might that cause this condition?

I will be monitoring this by wearing underwear that would show up any continued discharge. Since it's Saturday I will watch for further blood on my underwear, and if I see more of it, do you recommend I see my primary car Doc? Might excessive masturbation cause this?

I will refrain from masturbation to see if that eliminates further blood showing on the underwear?

I look forward to your responses, and any other suggestions you might have.

Sincerely,

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Guru 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Masturbation may not be the cause unless traumatic

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Sorry for the delay in replying!

Masturbation may not be the cause unless there is trauma.

Dehydration usually does not cause blood in underwear.

And yes, STDs sometimes do cause blood in underwear. However, the most serious causes, keeping your age in mind should be excluded as early as possible. These include bladder cancer, prostate cancer. I suggest to visit your PCP, ASAP.

Hope I have answered your query.

WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health!

Follow-up: Noticed blood on underwear. What could be the cause? 57 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up, Doc. I had a complete physical 3 weeks ago, prostate number was .57, manual exam was normal, and neither urine tests nor bloods tests were remarkable. I haven't seen any recurrence of blood in the underwear, but if I do I will see my PCP.
Sound reasonable?
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Guru 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sounds OK but,

Detailed Answer:

It sounds OK but undergoing urine test for presence of blood will be good. Small amount when lost from urinary tract will not be visible unless tested microscopically. I repeat again that based on your age, it is not good to neglect painless blood from urinary tract.

Let me know if you have have any clarifications.

Take Care!