Noticed blood on toilet tissue. Family history of colon cancer. Am I at any risk?

General Surgeon
blood on toilet tissue
Im a 21 year old male with no health condition but lately ive noticed every once in a while after i use the restroom theres a little bit of finish blood on the toilet paper after i wipe if i continue to wipe to make sure its clean and the blood stops it will stop bleeding and become irritated it only happens once every few weeks or months i would rather not tell anyone or ask unless its absolutely necessary nobody in my family has had any kind of cancers since my great grandmother on my mothers side who had colon cancer i am a little worried but there is no real pain it is barely noticeable for about 3 to 5 minutes after i notice the blood i am in college and i drink not all the time but about once a week my diet could be better but my girlfriend makes dinner and she doesnt eat meat
the only meat i do eat is fast food for the most part i weigh about 175 im 5'8 and i dont work out very much i only make a bm about every 3 to 4 days and i never struggle or feel pain Im sorry if this was to much information Im just nervous and looking for an accurate answer

thank you ,XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all you should relax as colon cancer does not affect young people (except genetic diseases, however it would appear in your relatives). Colon cancer risk rises significantly at the age of 50.
Blood on the toilet paper after a stool is most likely caused by hemorrhoids. You wont see anything around your rectum as hemorrhoids are usually inside and not visible. You may also suffer from irritation or itching in the anus.
Hemorrhoids usually appears due to lack of physical activity and constipation (due to bad diet).
I suggest you to increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake so your stool will become softer. Wash your anus after every stool and keep it clean. Prescription free suppositories for hemorrhoids should be also helpful.
If this will help with bleeding, no further tests are necessary.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Noticed blood on toilet tissue. Family history of colon cancer. Am I at any risk? 5 hours later
thanks alot doc Im not a big fan of medical expenses and i will be sure and hit you up again with any further questions
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
You are welcome. Hope you will be fine soon.