Noticed blood in urine. Taking blood thinners due to trouble clotting. Infection? Blood thinning and blood in urine connected?

Urologist
Question
I take blood thinners, having trouble with clotting on two tiny cuts (one was a thorn prick). Just started seeing blood in my urine today. Could be infection, but is there a potential connection to my blood being too thin, to seeing blood in my urine.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to the forum.
Blood thinners can cause prolonged bleeding and that explains the blood from the cuts.
But more commonly, there may be a underlying cause in the urinary tract that can cause the bleed which can be aggravated by the blood thinners.
So, it is better to get your urinary tract evaluated to rule out stone, infection or tumour.
If none is found on urine analysis and scans, then the bleed can be attributed to blood thinners.
Hope this helps,
Best regards

Follow-up: Noticed blood in urine. Taking blood thinners due to trouble clotting. Infection? Blood thinning and blood in urine connected? 1 hour later
Does that mean I should go straight to a urologist to have this test done? Or can a family medical practitioner complete these tests?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Welcome back.
If your family practitioner can give a request for urine analysis, culture and ultrasound scan, that should be good enough.
With the results, if needed, he can always refer you to a nearby urologist.
Best regards