Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood in urine. Having pain and burning sensation during urine. Cause?

General Surgeon
I recently observed that there was blood in my urine.. so i i did Urine tests and found that there are dysmorphic RBCs in urine(76%). Also there 4-6 RBCs, 1-2 /hpf WBC/PUS Cells and 1-2 /hpf epithileal cells. I also experience pain or burning sensation or both when i urinate.

What does this mean? Is it something serious?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Dysmorphic RBC marker is used to to diagnose glomerulonephritis. This is an inflammation of the very important, small parts of kidneys - glomeruli. There is plenty of glomerulonephritis types and reasons (some are unknown). So dismorphic RBC can indicate such inflammation. However its diagnostic value is modest. So it does not have to be it.

Blood in the urine and symptoms like burning and pain when urinating are most likely caused by Due to inflammation process or irritation by the stone, erythrocytes get to the urine.
The pain appears gradually (with an infection) or suddenly (with stones). Can radiate to the back or groin. Regular urinary tract infection is nothing serious and can be easily treated. However if infections keep coming back, it is necessary to rule out other reasons of blood in the urine like mentioned glomerulonephritis. Diabetes or urinary bladder issues should be also ruled out.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have urine culture test and if an infection is present, antibiotic should be prescribed. After the antibiotic course (usually 5 days) you should have urine analysis again. If the blood will be still present, you should see urologist and nephrologist. Kidneys biopsy and cystoscopy might be necessary.

In a meanwhile drink plenty of mineral water (2-3 liters/day), use cranberries supplements. Try to urinate more frequently especially during the night (urine helps with bacteria removal from urinary tract).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.