Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood in urine. Having dry mouth. Feeling tired. Worried?

General Surgeon
Passing blood in my urine once today and once two weeks ago. have had a dry mouth and drinking water to try
and quench the thirst, feeling tired and have the urgent need to urinate regularly.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Blood in urine, frequent urinating are most likely caused by lower abdominal pain, back pain and fever can be present.

Your thirstiness is probably caused by increased urine production what leads to dehydration.
However it is also possible that high blood sugar (diabetes) is causing thirstiness and frequent urinating. When there is too much sugar in the blood, our kidneys try to get rid of it and produce more urine and more sugar in the urine allows bacteria to grow in the urinary tract (bacteria likes sugar). So your infection can be due to diabetes.

Blood in urine can be also caused by your prostate issue. Sometimes blood in urine is a first symptom of urinary bladder cancer.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, urine analysis, urine culture test and blood sugar level checked. If no infection will be present, urologist consult and cystoscopy should be considered.

In a meanwhile increase mineral water intake and get cranberries supplements.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Noticed blood in urine. Having dry mouth. Feeling tired. Worried? 9 hours later
Many thanks for your reply and advice. I shall arrange for a check up at my
local G.P.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
You are welcome. Get well soon.