Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood in urine. Having discomfort below abdomen. What can be done?

General Surgeon
I am satheesh, 27 yrs old, single. I am having a slight feeling (Not pain) at the bottom of my abdomen. This feeling is there on both left & right side. Please let me know, why this feeling is happening & what should i do now ?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Such discomfort in the lower abdomen is most likely caused by urine is one of the symptoms. You may also have burning while urinating, frequent urinating (like couple of times during the night), fever, back pain. Urinary tract stones are also possible and can give same symptoms.

If the blood in the urine keeps recurring, you should have it diagnosed. Some urinary infections are caused by sporadic bacterial infection, some has other reasons like diabetes or narrow areas in the urinary tract for example.

That is why you should have urine analysis, than urine culture test. If an infection will be present, this test will tell which antibiotic is be the most effective. After antibiotic treatment (it takes usually 5 days), urine analysis should be repeated. In case of blood in it, urologist should be consulted.

Lower abdominal discomfort can be also caused by uterine or ovaries issues. Therefore, gynecologist should examine you and perform transvaginal ultrasound.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.