Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood in urine. Cytoscopy showed lesion in the bladder. How to overcome this problem?

Jul 2016

I am very worried. Since one year I have blood in my urine about once a month, no pain. I went to the doctor right away and was checked out for any kidney or other problems. Nothing was found. I was sent to the hospital for a cystoscopy. There was a lesion on the inside of my bladder in the form of a ring. The urologist washed out cells from it, had it sent to a lab and it was tested as non suspicious for cancer. The bleeding continued. I had a second cystoscopy and again the cell samples that were washed off the lesion brought nothing suspicious. Why does the bleeding once to twice a month continue? The bleeding lasts only for one to two urinations. What can I do? I am still worried.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Based on the facts that you posted it appears that you have some small benign lesion in the bladder or it may be a simple Cystitis. As you have already undergone endoscopic evaluation twice and nothing significant was revealed you need not worry at all.

You have to monitor yourself and prevent getting urinary tract inflammation (UTI). Frequent routine urine analysis and ultrasound scanning may help you from getting repeated episodes of bleeding. In addition I would also suggest that you take some urinary antiseptics like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and consume 4-5 litres of water. This will prevent UTI. Nitrofurantoin based drugs can be brought using a prescription from your family physician,

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.