Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed blood in the saliva. What could be the reason?

blood in the saliva after wake-up and taking a nap for few hours.No coughing.If i regulate by saliva for few times inside the mouth then i might get reddish spit.after 6 or 7 spit. Also get reddish spit after one or two spits, if i wake up after a few hours sleep.
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 6 hours later

I would like you to know that blood in saliva can be due to bleeding from gums.
Inflammation of gums known as gingivitis causes oozing of blood from gums which mixes with saliva.
I advise you to consult an ENT specialist for the same as recurrent throat infection can also be linked to presence of blood in spit.

In order to confirm the cause it is advisable to see a dentist first,
If gingivitis( inflamed gums) is the cause then full mouth scaling, antibacterial mouth rinses is the treatment.

I hope this answer was useful.

Kindly post further queries if any.

I wish you good health..

Follow-up: Noticed blood in the saliva. What could be the reason? 11 hours later
I took advice of two dentist. Both have check the mouth and the gums. One of them asked me to look for a physician while the other advised me to full mouth cleaning and for the time being give me antibiotics along with one mouth wash and one gum paint.However i was taking antibiotic metrogyl 200 and one mouthwash Hexidine on the opinion of my personal physician.
What should i do.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back,
I appreciate that you have already consulted a dentist,
In my opinion you should go with the advise of your dentist, continue using the mouth wash, and antibiotics as prescribed.
Also, get full mouth scaling done every 6months ,
I would like to recommend warm saline rinses(3-4times/day) for you till the time bleeding from gums subsides.
Application of gum paint,once daily will help resolve inflamation of gums(kindly massage the paint over gums wih a finger for 1 minute), do not eat or drink until half an hour.
Maintain regular follow-ups with your dentist,
I hope this advise was useful,
Feel free to post any further queries,