Noticed blood in stools. Feeling weak. Colonoscopy normal. What to do?

General Surgeon
I'm a white male, 61yrs, noticed some blood/redness in my stool, last week or so. I had a clear colonoscopy 2 years ago. What could be the problem? I feel weak. My drinking is limited to beer and wine. I'm a "trying to quit" smoker.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Most common reason of bright red blood in the stool is hemorrhoids. With hemorrhoids, blood appears on the surface of the stool and on the toilet paper. It is never mixed with the stool. Itching around the anus can be also present.
Sometimes hemorrhoids are invisible for colonoscopy (hemorrhoids are on the very first part of the rectum and during inserting the colonoscope, this area can be missed).

If your blood is mixed with the stool, other large intestine disease like polyp or inflammatory bowels disease can be the reason. Constipation and/or diarrhea can be present.

If you have had diarrhea, nausea and abdominal pain with blood in stool, an infection can be the reason.

By the way, I hope that you have had gastroscopy for chronic anemia diagnosis.

I suggest you to visit a surgeon, have rectal examination and rectoscopy performed to diagnose hemorrhoids. If no hemorrhoids will be present, FOBT (fecal occult blood test) should be done and in case of blood in the stool, colonoscopy should be repeated.

To help with hemorrhoids, you should:
- increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake (to keep your stool soft and avoid constipation)
- do not push hard on stool
- have sitz baths with Quercus Cortex
- wash your anus after every stool
- use OTC suppositories for hemorrhoids.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Noticed blood in stools. Feeling weak. Colonoscopy normal. What to do? 2 hours later
Yes, the blood seems to be mixed with the stool. Very present a few days ago,bloody diarrhea. Not so much now. No hemorrhoid symptoms. Should I alter my diet to include or exclude anything?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Bloody diarrhea is a very serious symptom. You should not leave it without medical attention. It can be bacterial infection or large intestine disease (like inflammatory bowels disease, colon polyp or even a cancer).
That is why I`m asking you to visit your doctor. Every bloody diarrhea should be checked with stool tests and stool culture test. Colonoscopy might be necessary.

In diet, you should eliminate fatty foods, fried foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, soft drinks. Increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake.

Hope this will help.