Noticed blood in stools. Experienced pain. What should I do?

My son, he's 18, passed a stool (a small one) and noticed a blood splattered in the pan. It was bright red. He didn't experience any pain it was only when he wiped that he noticed the blood. It was only a very small poo Last year my son took roaccutane. He's been completely healthy since and as I say he's has no pain at all. I gather bright red blood would mean it's come from the area around the anus and not higher up. Can bleeding from a simple fissure be painless?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get the answers to your questions as following... Detailed Answer: Hi, The bright red blood your son noticed could be because of any problem to the anus area: - hemorrhoids - anal fissures As your son is not having pain, most probably he is having hemorrhoids. The main cause of hemorrhoids is constipation. If he is having pain, and in the next bowel movement, he will experience blood again, then, I advise to consult a GI specialist for further evaluation. The GI specialist would examine locally (digital examination) for the presence of hemorrhoids. He/she would ask for colonoscopy to determine the underlying problems (fissures or hemorrhoids). Meanwhile, I advise that your son should avoid constipation by - drinking more water - eating foods high in fiber - can take lactulose and sena folium - avoid chillies, fried, or processed foods. At the end, do not worry for only one episode of bleeding. Check if your son will bleed again in the next bowel movements, and if any abnormality seen, can consult GI for further evaluation. Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, do not hesitate to write them back at follow up. I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Sejdini
Follow-up: Noticed blood in stools. Experienced pain. What should I do? 19 minutes later
Thank you. I will follow you advise and will also make an appointment with his GP tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Brief Answer: You're most welcome! Detailed Answer: Hi, Glad to know that my advice was of help. All the best to your son and you! Wish you health! Dr.Sejdini