Noticed blood in stools. Diagnosed polyp and fisher. Recommended sigmoidscopy and Rectal Polyp Excision. Suggest?

My problem is concerning my daughter of 2 years. Sometimes bloods spots comes in her stool. I checked with my Pediatric doctor and he advised to XXXXXXX a Pediatric surgeon. The pediatric surgeon after physical examination told me that there is a polyp and fisher which is causing this bleeding. He has advised removal of polyp through minor surgery and has advised "Sigmoidscopy" and "Rectal Polyp Excision". Please suggest if this is right or is there something else that can be done for the same. Please advise on the issue
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later

I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Your doctor has advised the right thing. Blood in stool in needs evaluation with a sigmoidscopy. It is a test in which a long slender tube with a "camera" is introduced through the anal opening to look in to the rectum and colon.

Some of the common causes of blood in stools include fissure in ano, polyp, colitis, etc. The test will confirm the cause. Besides that, if polyp is found, it has to be excised which can be done using endoscope itself.

So go ahead with what her doctor has suggested.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini