Noticed blood in stool. What is the problem and the cure?

i forgot to flush, after a while I came back and noticed red water at the bottom of the bowl. I didn't see any red when I went but my stools are hard and I push a lot. the stools were still brown.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
thanks for the query
The red blood can be of several conditions. If the blood was of fresh origin then it might be due to stress tear due to persistent straining. other conditions might include hemorrhoids but it is very painful and you are not having any such symptom. brown or dark colored stool may indicate blood from the upper gastrointestinal tract either due an ulcer or an inflammatory condition. but to confirm whether the stool contains any blood or not, send stool for examination to look for occult blood and then proceed further. Also make sure that you are not using any such mediation that can cause bleeding.

feel free to ask any further queries.
Follow-up: Noticed blood in stool. What is the problem and the cure? 31 minutes later
I do have a hemoroid. according to a visiting nurse, several months ago. And I felt
some pain but slight. I didn't see any blood at first, bu the water was a bit soapy. this bowel movement was easier but the stool was partially covered by the bottom of the bowl. I did drink two glasses of cranberry juice. I haven't moved my bowels yet but when I do I will take some samples to the gastroentrologist. Last week, I did notice a slight staining , red, but very slight on the toilet paper.
Thank you for the answer, I thought the red coloring seeped from the stools.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 57 minutes later
Thanks for the reply
If you previously had a hemorrhoid then it can be probably a cause of the bleeding but remember the blood is always fresh and comes after passing stool. It is also recommended to have a visit to general surgeon to rule out hemorrhoids. If you feel straining, use laxative to avoid straining as it can worsen the condition.

If you are satisfied with the answer, don't forget to give 5 star rating to the answer. If you still have some queries, feel free to ask