Noticed blood in stool. Experiencing upper quadrent pain and mid back pain. What to do?

hello, I noticed for the past two days I been having bright red blood in my stool and today I saw a yellow tissue type of material in the surface. My stools are hard but Im not constipated. I did strain first and then I was able to go. I also been experiencing mild right upper quadrant pain and a midback pain localized in the left side. Im trying to figure out what is it because there is not history of colon problem in my family at all.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Presence of bright red blood in stool indicates that blood is coming from lower part of G.I.tract, mostly from rectum or any problem related to local area.

The commonest cause in most of the cases is fissure in ano (cut in the skin of anal region leading bleeding due friction while passing stool) or piles.

Pain in abdomen may or may not be related. Any problem higher up normally impart black color to stool. Bright red indicates fresh bleeding.

Please do following which should help.

>Take light diet.
>make sure you pass soft stools; you can take stool softeners for this.
>Drink plenty of liquids
>Avoid diet with spices

In couple of days if the bleeding does not stop or increase than you need get your self examined by a doctor to look for the cause and treatment.

I hope this helps.