Noticed blood in spit and vomited. What could be the possible reason?

ENT Specialist
Today morning after waking up, I vomited.
The vomit didn't have anything but water. Clearing my throat I spit, I found blood in that.

What could be the possible reason?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A single episode of a small amount of bleeding from the oral cavity or nose during a vomiting is not a cause for worry.

2. You may safely wait if this is not recurrent.

3. Fresh red coloured blood means it has come from the upper gut. Blood from the stomach is dark brown or black due to the action of gastric acid. Bile is XXXXXXX or yellow. Meanwhile you may inspect your gums, especially between the teeth, and oral cavity including around and below the tongue for any obvious source of this bleed.
Another common cause may be the colour of some food ingested earlier. Lymphoid tissue is abundant in the throat. It is very delicate and bleeds easily during coughing and vomiting. Erosive esophagitis or gastritis is another probable cause.

4. Your physician may also examine more thoroughly by endoscopy, especially to rule out any growths, conduct scans, dental check-up and blood tests including a coagulogram if this is a recurrent problem.

5.Do you have any other significant past history and are you currently on any medication? Is there any history suggestive of oral injury due to a sharp food item or food contaminant (foreign body)? You need not take any immediate medication if there is no further episode besides medicated gargles and Vitamin C (especially if you have exposure to tobacco smoke).

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.