Noticed blood in spit. How serious is this condition?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi there some time i spit blood in the morning and. It is only when i drink a night before the blood it is dry and i think is in my nose
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 8 minutes later

Spitting of blood can be due to bleed in the throat or in the respiratory tract.
There are many reasons for spitting of blood. To name a few:
1. Trauma
2. Foreign body
3. Vascular lesion
4. Infections- Tuberculosis
5. Malignancy

However, in order to know the cause and site of bleeding, a complete examination of the throat and relevant investigation of the respiratory system needs to be done.

Let me know whether there are any other symptoms like weight loss, decreased appetite or weakness.
This history can help to narrow down the possibilities.

dr Shailja P Wahal