Noticed blood in saliva and constipation. What could be the reason?

I just woke to us bathroom, and spit in the towel, there was blood in my saliva. some constipation.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not be concerned...

Detailed Answer:

Fresh blood mixed with saliva is generally from oral cavity structures. I would not be concerned if this symptom does not recur again.

You will need to see your doctor, if you persistently find blood mixed saliva, say after few 2-3 hours. After a detailed clinical examination of oral cavity and couple of blood tests hemogram and coagulation profile your doctors will be able to isolate the cause.

Do not be concerned. As I mentioned earlier, this is a benign and harmless issue and would resolve spontaneously. If you are on aspirin or anticoagulation therapy call your doctor before you temporarily withhold taking them.

Constipation is not related to blood mixed saliva. It is most likely incidental happening. Drink plenty of fluids and use fiber XXXXXXX diet to prevent constipation.

Hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you are still concerned.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Noticed blood in saliva and constipation. What could be the reason? 14 hours later
Yes, it has cleared up. No more blood in saliva. I have a persistent cough that lasted for 1 month now, after flu like symptoms that has passed, but cough has gootten much better, but cough approx 1 time every 5 minutes. Help.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait for couple of weeks...

Detailed Answer:

You need not be worried if bleeding has stopped. As I mentioned, the cause is more likely a benign one and needs no attention.

As far as cough is concerned, you can try benadryl syrup if cough is disturbing you. Cough secondary to flu like infection might take up to 6 weeks before it settles. I will wait for couple of weeks more before I explore other reasons or try alternative form of treatment.

Hope this helps. You are free to write back for clarifications before you close this discussion.