Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed blood in saliva after sneezing. Found bleeding gums with damaged teeth. Effective cure?

ENT Specialist
Hi doctor... for the last 2 years i have been witnessing blood in my saliva after sneezing.. i had a couple of session with my ENT and they had asked me to conduct couple of blood test like Lypid profile, thyroid test, protrombin test, clotting time, bleeding time, total cholestrol etc. everything was normal... she finally diagonised that its from the gums... some time whne i exert pressure on my upper molar tooth which is broken i see blood flowing... same is on the right side molar tooth...
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. A tinge of blood in the saliva and nasal secretions after sneezing is commonly due to shearing of delicate, inflamed lymphoid tissue in the nasopharynx and throat.

2. It is good to hear that your blood tests are within normal limits. This excludes a major cause.

3. Gingivitis or gum disease secondary to a damaged teeth is also a common cause, as is Vitamin C deficiency. Get a dental opinion.

4. You may revert back after your dental treatment is complete. You may start Vitamin B & C Supplements.

5. A nasal endoscopy and oral examination with a video endoscope may be done. You may share a recording of the video here for further advice.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.