Noticed blood in cough. Positive d dimer test. Suspected for blood clot in lung. Is this curable?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi, I have a friend and she is 24 years of age. She is in UK right now. She was having some health troubles lately. She had blood in her cough. Her X-Rays showed that her lymph nodes were enlarged. Doctors conducted some tests and ruled out TB or any sort of cancer. Yesterday she tested positive for a D dimer test. Doctors say she might have a blood clot in her lungs.She has had episodes of fainting and low blood pressure during our college days. I am really worried. Right now doctors have given her some injection to dilute her blood. My question is that if eventually it turns out to be a clot in her lungs, can she be cured??
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your friend seems to have been diagnosed with pulmonary thromboembolism.

2. The condition needs to be confirmed on CT angiography.

3. Anti coagulant injection are initiated in this condition and if the size is small than the patient responds to the condition.

4. If the clot is massive then surgical thromboembolectomy may be done.

5. But be rest assured that the condition is curable in most of the cases.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Noticed blood in cough. Positive d dimer test. Suspected for blood clot in lung. Is this curable? 23 hours later
Her CT angiography did not show any blood clot in the lungs. What else could be the reason for her condition??

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query. After going through the follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Her CT angiography does not show any clot. In such a scenario other causes of elevated d dimer levels have to be searched for.

2. Investigations like a 2 d echo and ventilation perfusion scan may be required. Cardiac causes need to be ruled out.

3. D dimer is also raised in certain inflammatory and infective conditions.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

4. Also check for clot in her legs, rule out IHD.