Noticed blood in cough. Diagnosed with ca in lung. Required treatment?

My father is 66.
last two months blood is coming with cough.
after doctor consultation and few investigation,he had CA lung.
how do i know grade of CA ?
What is the treatment ?

Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Grade is not so much important in lung cancer as the stage. These are usually high-grade tumors and managed like that.

From the CT scan it appears that it is localised (early stage) but to confirm that a PET-CT scan is required. There is also a small possibility that it is not lung cancer but a spread from some other site. PET-CT will detect that also.

If it is confirmed as an early stage lung cancer then the treatment is surgery followed by chemotherapy and/or RT if required. If it is advanced stage then it is chemo/RT only.

There are other factors in treatment, like general fitness, other illnesses, lung function, cardiac function, etc.

He needs assessment by thoracic surgeon and oncology team to decide on the next step.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any further queries.