Noticed blood during ejaculation and in urine. Used anal beads during sex. Guide

Question
Today while having sex with my boyfriend I used anal beads on him. When he ejaculated there was some blood in the semen. Now there' blood when he urinates and the blood is staining his underwear. Do you know what may have happened and should we be alarmed?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 57 minutes later

Anal beads are made of silicone, plastic, rubber, latex, glass or metal and if the beads that you used were of metal and glass then there is a possibility of injury to the urogenital system.

What concerns me is the presence of blood in urine and in semen. It is called hematospermia (blood in semen) and hematuria (blood in urine) and the primary cause of hematopsermia is sexually transmitted diseases like herpes, Chlamydia, cytomegalovirus and trichominiasis.

In your boyfriends case it can be due to injury to the urogenital tract since he had the symptom only after use of anal beads. Otherwise it can occur due to many conditions such as swellings (inflammations), cysts, stones & other obstructive lesions, and benign or non-benign tumors of the organs of the genitourinary system (involving the bladder, urethra, the testicles, the seminal vesicles, the epididymis, the prostate gland etc). Investigations which you then need to get done include blood tests, routine & culture tests of urine & semen, ultrasound & MRI scans of genitourinary system, and histopathological tests (FNAC, biopsy etc).

Hematuria (blood in urine) can also be due to multiple causes and requires further investigations. Do not indulge in intercourse or masturbation and ask your boyfriend to drink plenty of fluids. If the bleeding is severe then he may need to get a cystoscopy done to assess the extent and nature of injury and to rule out other conditions.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Noticed blood during ejaculation and in urine. Used anal beads during sex. Guide 18 minutes later
The problem happened immediately after sex. When I pulled the beads out he ejaculated and their was a stream of blood in the semen. Then when he used the bathroom it was a little blood at the beginning. Now the blood is kind of staining his underwear. None of this was happening before today. Do you think this may clear up on it's on? Is it some kind of tear from the beads? Will injury to the urogenital tract heal itself?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Treatment depends on the severity and extent of the genital injury. Your partner may need: ice packs and pressure to be applied right away. He may take like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac.

If the symptoms persist then he may need a cystoscopy to look at the extent of injury.