Noticed blood coming out from pt arterial line. Was wearing gloves and regular mask. Worried about Hep C or HIV infection? Suggest?

Possible infection of HIV and/or Hep C?
Hello, I am a Registered Nurse with several years of exp at Med Surge floor at hospital. I recently started working as a dialysis nurse (currently orienting with PCT about machine). Yesterday around 1345, I tried to rinse back pt blood to catheter, but because we recently changed our clinic protocol to rinse back patient, I forgot to clump the arterial side of the clip, and accidentally, almost 8oz of blood came out from pt arterial line. Blood splashed on the machine, floor and spilled a lot on my hands. I was wearing gloves, but I could feel the warmth of pt blood. As I remember, I was also wearing face shield, and gown. (but I honestly do not remember about face shield because I was slightly panic, and it is natural habit to wear face shield. But I did not feel or sense something got into my eyes. For sure, I was wearing regular mask because I had a cold. I took off the gloves, and washed my hands with soap. I do not remember if I had blood on my hands. I did not have any big open wound except I accidentally poked myself with clean needle in the morning, and I wore bandage for short period of time. Once blood is stopped, I stopped wearing bandage, and when the pt blood splashed on me, I was not wearing bandage, but I was wearing gloves.

Pt blood was on the floor, and I found some blood splash on my gown. I changed my gown, but I did not change my scrubs because our clinic does not prepare extra scrubs and shower room like OR. I was wearing high sock to cover my thigh (kind like compression socks) underneath of my scrubs. I have some scratches on my legs because I have very dry skin. My hands does not have any open big wound except the puncture happening of the needle from the morning. Pt is Hep C positive, and possible HIV. I was not sure if my situation is called I exposure to pt Blood because I was wearing gloves, I did not feel anything splash to my eyes, and I was wearing gowns. However, there is big possibility that I go blood on my scrubs where gown is not covering. That is why I did not talk to my supervisor about the issue.
In this situation, is there possibility I get infected with Hep C or HIV? If so, what can I do now? I plan to take test hcv) Rna Pcr Qualitative and HIV by PCR test but I still have to wait 28 days. Should I go to ER and explained to the doctor and get some emergency meds for HIV? I am not sure what I should do, and I feel sick by thinking about many things about it. Usually, I do have a RN preceptor with me during orientation, but I did not have RN preceptor or even PCT preceptor with me on the floor yesterday. Should I claim to the clinic about it? I feel just I want to cry now, and I cannot concentrate anything right now. Could you please help....
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don't think you should worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
I have read your story in detail & I don't think there is a possibility for you getting infected with the current incident. You were observing all the necessary precautions & there was no definite contact with the patients blood.
So, please don't get anxious & just relax. I don't think you need any emergency medications, but, I think you should report this issue to your supervisor & hospital authorities, so that they can arrange extra scrubs for future & they may provide you further reassurance about your safety.
You may take the test as you are planning. Consider repeating the tests again after 6 months for further reassurance.
Wish you good health.