Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood coming from urethra after doing workouts. Due to broken blood vessel or something serious?

General Surgeon
I am a male, 34 years old. I just finished a fairly intense weight training session and noticed a couple of very small (about the width of a writing pen) bright red blood stains in my boxers near my penis. I urinated after I saw this and had no blood, this has never happened before..except about 10 years ago I had some blood in my semen and was told by my Dr it was likely due to a broken blood vessel. Could this be a similar thing? I did do deadlifts today (lifting a bar from the floor), and a hefty leg worktop a couple of days well as a lot of sex on Sunday and Monday. So it seems a blood vessel or something may be plausible (I hope). Could it be something more serious that I should see a Dr for?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 54 minutes later
Blood coming per urethra can be due to simple stone,Cancer etc.
You please send your urine for culture,malignant cells,deposits .
Get an ultrasound abdomen to know the status of kidney,ureter,bladder.
Till then,please take Antibiotic Norfloxacin .
Drink plenty of liquids.
It is not related to exercise
Nothing to worry.
If you come back with above reports,I will clarify further.
Follow-up: Noticed blood coming from urethra after doing workouts. Due to broken blood vessel or something serious? 31 minutes later
Thank you Dr Perigela. Is is possible to get a prescription for Norfloxacin that I can fill on my own tomorrow? Since tomorrow is a Saturday, my options are limited as far as obtaining a prescription unless I go to urgent care or the hospital.

If you can't get me a prescription, should I go to urgent care tomorrow, or the hospital tonight even (that feels like it might be a little much)? I am just not totally comfortable waiting for Monday..

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
I am sorry about the prescription.
But,it is not an emergency.
As you passed clear urine after initial blood, nothing to worry.
You can take medicine on Monday.
Till then,keep drinking plenty of liquids.
Wish you good health