Noticed blood clots after gallbladder surgery. Feeling uncomfortable. Can I get it out without choking to death?

ENT Specialist
I had gall bladder surgery July 10th. During the procedure there was a breathing tube and gastric tube used down my throat. When they were taken out there was blood and blood clots that were looked after. However, I still feel like there is something in my throat. Even jello gets stuck on it and I feel like I am gagging/choking. Can you tell me what might be in my throat i.e. some skin and how best can I get it out without choking to death?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Thanks for the query,

Given your symptoms, its extremely unlikely that there is something external which is blocking your food pipe. It seems to be a condition called Globus Pharyngeous. Actually, during general anesthesia, endotracheal tube is passed through the larynx into the trachea for artificial respiration. During this procedure, patient usually encounters friction injury in throat. The feeling arises from non contraction or improper coordination in the muscles of the throat.
Things like stress, improper sleep, smoking
This calls for no special intervention. The following measures would help.
1- Take semisolid and liquid diet.
2- You may take some mucolytic syrup like ambroxol.
3. You should also be taking Tablet Prevacid 1 tablet one hour before breakfast for 1 week.
You should be completely fine within the next 3-4 days.

Let me know if you need any more information.