Noticed blood and foul odour after having sex. Tampon was stuck. Should I be concerned?

I'm absolutely horrified by my question as well as my situation... I'm 45 yes old and found a lost tampon today!! Approx. A month ago over a period of several days my husband and I tried having sex but he felt as though he would fit...never had this issue before and we have a very active sex life. He went out of town for 10 days the day after our last attempt... The day he came home we had sex with our any problems. As soon as we were done I noticed a horrible smell and blood ... I had started my which was normal with exception to the foul odor. The odor continued until today, three weeks later, when while I was soaking in the I felt like something was stuck in me. I felt around and to my horror found an old tampon. I quickly removed it and now I have sine minor abdomen soreness. The foul odor is gone, but I'm really concerned about infection. I can't believe after all the years I have used talons this has happened! I am beyond embarrassed! My husband and I have contrived with intercourse throughout this time period with no other problems or pain. I have douched trying to get rid of the odor and I just thought I had an upset Ph balance due to my age... Should I be concerned? Is the pain normal? I'm am completely freaked out by this knowing that this was most likely lost in me for close to two months! What cinema if any should I have and what should I do?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Appropriate antibiotics are likely to solve this. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for discussing your problem with us. This is really good that you finally discovered the lost thing & removed it. This is the most important step to recovery. Don't be very upset, this type of situation is seen quite often in clinical practice. You are rightly concerned about infection. Foul smell & abdominal issues point to this complication. This is a logical complication of retention of a foreign body in vagina for so long. Best way to deal with this problem is to visit a Gynecologist as early as possible & report the issue. The doctor will examine you & most likely do some swab tests from your vagina to find out the causative organisms of this infection. Your doctor will then suggest you some antibiotics for local & systemic use depending upon clinical experience. This will hopefully clear you from any infection & associated complication. Hope you get well soon. Best of luck.