Noticed blood after wiping. Could it be hemorrhoids? How long it takes to cure?

Jan 2013

I pooped last night and had trouble doing so but it was still on the soft side. Then this morning I peed and saw bright red blood in toilet and on paper when I wiped my butt. But even if I don't pee and just wipe there's blood on tissue from butt. There was no blood in poop last night though! I'm freaking out! And I'm at work! Is it a hemroid and if it is how long could it bleed for? My butt hole hurts a little like there's a cut ! Please help!
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 47 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have some mass palpable at anus?
With the available described details, there could be possibility of thrombosed hemorrhoids or anal fissure.
Pain at anus along with bleeding suggests the diagnosis.
There appears to be high possibility of anal fissure, precipitated by persisting constipation.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ general surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for per rectal examination also.
Formation at scab at bleeding site may cause stoppage of bleeding.
Persistent or recurrent constipation may again cause bleeding by removing scab.

Treatment of anal fissure and hemorrhoids differ and treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take plenty of water along with laxative containing isapgula and lactitol. Laxative helps in relieving constipation and cure of local wound.
You should also apply lignocaine ointment along with diltiazem.
You should also perform hot sitz bath; put lukewarm water in a tub and sit in it for 15-20 minutes twice in a day. This helps in relaxation of anal sphincters.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Noticed blood after wiping. Could it be hemorrhoids? How long it takes to cure? 5 minutes later
Thanks you! I made an appointment to see my gastroenterologist tomorrow. I'm afraid to poop now cuz I don't want it to start bleeding again. In the mean time don't panick?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
You should avoid straining and wait for tomorrow.
Get well soon,
All the best,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava