Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood after urination. What could be the cause?

May 2013
When I wipe after urinating I see blood. What could cause my last period ended September 6. Thanks
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 40 minutes later

The possible causes are:

Menstrual irregularities:
Hormonal imbalance can cause inter menstrual spotting.
Sometimes length of the cycle can change depending on many factors like stress and strain, weight changes, recent illness, thyroid hormonal levels etc which can affect the hormones regulating menstrual cycle. So this could be early onset of periods.
In case of lengthier cycle it could be postovulatory spotting.

In case of recent intercourse it could be because of post coital tear.
If there is usage of contraceptive pills breakthrough bleeding can occur.
If the chances of pregnancy are there we can suspect implantation bleeding also.
Lesions like cervical erosion, polyps etc can present with spotting.

Usually spotting due to many of these causes will subside soon.
So you try to correlate above causes with your history so that you can find out the possible cause for your spotting.
If the spotting persists or increases better to consult gynecologist once and get examined to find out the possible cause and get treated.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.