Noticed bleeding while wiping anus and have itchy anus. Is this related to diet?

Often when I wipe my anus after going to the toilet, it bleeds a bit. Then it gets itchy over the next few hours. There is no pAin when I go to the toilet though. Is it just a diet thing? I am very stressed and busy with work, eating fast food more then I should, so I am also going to the toilet more then I used to. I used to once a day, now it's 2 or even three times. Not diarrhea though.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Irritation and itching in anus can be due to moisture, abrasion caused by clothing, pressure of sitting, dry skin, excessive scrubbing with hard soaps and toilet paper, piles, fissures, worms etc. Since you are having bleeding also, fissures and piles (hemorrhoids ) should be ruled out. It can be caused by diet when less of roughage and fiber is taken in diet.

Symptoms of external hemorrhoids may include painful swelling or a hard lump around the anus which may itch. For the diagnosis, it is best to consult a general surgeon and get it examined by physical examination or by anoscopy.

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated.

1)     You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet.

2)     You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3)     However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods for hemorrhoids are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.