Noticed bleeding while passing urine. Urine test showed presence of epithelial cells. Worrisome

Mar 2016

hello, doctor, am 45 old lady with total menopause stage. today, i had sudden bleeding problem while passing urine. as advised by my gynae, i undergone urine test wherein my epithelial cells are 10-12 and albumin is +. what does that mean pls.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer as per your concern.

According to your history, you have menopausal stage for near about 3 yrs. Now, you get bleeding in urine (hematuria) and undergo one urine test with above findings.

There are three types of epithelial cells present in urine and normal level is zero to few only. These include
1) Transitional epithelial cells-normally found.
2) Squamous epithelial cells- indicates contamination.
3) Renal tubule epithelial cells- suggest renal disease.

In general, epithelial cells should not be present in a urine sample. But most common cause of high amount of epithelial cells (10-12) is improper collection of the urine or contamination with vagina or other things. Here, you need to repeat the urine test again by ruling out contamination to exclude major underlying pathology like bladder tumor/ renal disease as you get hematuria with high number of epithelial cells and mild proteinuria (1+) .

Otherwise it indicates lower UTI) which is more prevalent in women and can cause mild hematuria with trace amount proteinuria (albumin 1+). Generally, it is less complicated if treated with proper antibiotic therapy & urine alkaliser.

Another thing, with above two findings & hematuria, we can't reach in pin point diagnosis. Therefore, I suggest to consult with urologist for complete physical examination, investigations and proper medication.

You may need to undergo some other tests like hormone level assay/ Renal Function Test/ Cystoscopy/ Intravenous Pyelography (IVP) etc to exclude or confirm underlying renal/ bladder pathology if you get abnormal report again in repeat urine test.

In the interim, do the following things:

1) Take healthy diet with low protein diet with avoidance of salty/ spicy foods.
2) Drink plenty of water or fluids (3 lit plus) to stay hydrated and remove body toxins.
3) Maintain genital hygiene properly before & after each sexual intercourse and toileting.
4) Wear only clean and cotton underwear and does not use chemical/ irritant substance.
5) Check BP in regular interval as hypertension may cause hematuria or other renal disease.
6) Do regular light exercise by walking/ jogging and eat more vegetables & fruits.
7) Keep bladder empty in periodic interval and do not pressurize your bladder.

Hope, above information is very much sufficient for your understanding. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future and please focus on next line of investigation & treatment.

Dr Soumen.