Noticed bleeding when sitting or using bathroom. What can this be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have blood coming out when I sit down and go bathroom what could this be
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

I understood that you notice blood in stool while defecating. There are few possible causes and most of them are benign and not serious. Most common are hemorrhoids, angiodysplasie, anal fissures and polyps. These diseases won't cause serious bleeding but if this persists you should do proctologist work up and red blood count. Also considering your age and gender there is increased risk of colon cancer and you should do colonoscopy as a preventional test to be sure especially if you have associated anaemia, pain in abdomen and constipation. For treatment you should take iron supplements, eat high fibre vegetables and fruit and drink enough fluids. Also ask your go for some stool softeners.

If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards