Noticed bleeding from penis after sex. No blood in semen. Cure?

Question
Hello Dr. Grief. i have been bleeding from my penis after sex. there is no blood in semen. i am 45 years old. this problem started about 6 years ago. i had an extensive rectal and penis examination done. i was told that everything was fine. after a break from sex everything was good again. 3 years later it happened again. i took another break from sex. had sex after about twenty days and everything was fine. the problem has come back again now. i don't bleed after masturbation only after sex. nobody seems to have an answer to this problem.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later

I am Dr. Galera. Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

Bleeding from the penis can generally be caused by three things:
1) too much force or friction during sex can cause some blood vessels to get injured. The force on your penis from masturbating is quite small compared to that of sexual intercourse. Bleeding may occur on the outside especially with abrasions or cuts due to the friction or force, or even from the inside (blood may ooze from the urethra, for this you have to go to the ER for urgent care);
2) a kidney stone or bladder stone may also cause gross bleeding, and
3) an STD.

Since you had examinations before that gave you an all clear, I am leaning towards the first. To be sure, please answer some questions that I have for you:
1) where do you notice the bleeding?
2) do you see any breaks in the skin of your penis - cuts, abrasions, signs of irritation or inflammation? or is there any peculiar lesion like a vesicle or a sore? (it would be great if you can send a picture for me to see, if there are)
3) do you feel any pain and, if any, can you localize it?

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon!

Best,

Dr. Galera

Follow-up: Noticed bleeding from penis after sex. No blood in semen. Cure? 7 hours later
Dr.Galera. i am bleeding directly from my penis. there is no pain. i get a blood clot that passes through abouyt half way through peeing. again it does not hurt, but as you can imagine it's not very nice. i am fit and strong probably drink too much but i am very confused on what is going on with my body.

Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 3 hours later
Hi, thank you for getting back to me!

Yes, I can imagine that this is very worrisome for you. Even with your good health, seeing blood coming out of your body is disconcerting.

The additional information that you provided actually helps a lot. When you see blood in the urine, we have to check not only your penis or your prostate but the entire urogenital tract from your kidneys to the penis.

When you see blood at the start of urination, it may come from the urethra, the spongy tube on the underside of your penis from the bladder. Blood that you see throughout urination may come from bladder or kidneys or ureters (the thin tubes that connect your kidneys to the bladder). If you pass clots of different shapes and sizes midstream, this may mean bleeding from the urethra or prostate.

I am still leaning towards my first impression. You may have injured one of your blood vessels in your penis, particularly along your urethra in the past. This injury may have actually caused the weakening of the blood vessels, making it prone for repeated breaking especially during sex.

For your peace of mind, I would advise that you see your urologist one more time just to let him know. He may order another set of tests which may include a doppler of the penis to check its blood vessels, Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy (to see the path from penis to bladder), and others.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Take care!

Dr. Galera