Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed bleeding during urination. Urine test showed 120-13o rbc's and 5-8 wbc's and distinct trace of albumin. Meaning?

Question
i bleeded during urination for 2 days then it stopped..i did urine test and rwsults came out with 120-13o rbc's and 5-8 wbc's. and a distinct trace of albumin..what does this indicate
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated for bladder cancer again

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am sorry to hear about this recent blood in urine and the history of bladder cancer.

Having been diagnosed with bladder cancer before constitutes the greatest risk factor to have another bladder cancer. Blood in urine is never normal and these findings are least suggestive of an infection. I strongly suggest that you get evaluated for a possible recurrence of bladder cancer. These lab findings are suggestive of blood originating from the bladder.

Sorry about this finding and feel free to ask further related questions for clarification.
Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Noticed bleeding during urination. Urine test showed 120-13o rbc's and 5-8 wbc's and distinct trace of albumin. Meaning? 2 hours later
i also had a stone is kidney, could it be a reason?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but get evaluated for bladder cancer again!

Detailed Answer:
It is true that a kidney stone can present with the exact same blood in urine.

During urination, if all the urine contained blood from start to finish, then it is likely from the kidney stone. However, if only the last part of the urine contained blood, it is more likely from the bladder. In any case, this is only suggestive and not conclusive.

But to make sure that we don't miss out on a potentially worrisome bladder pathology(because of the past history of bladder cancer), get evaluated with a cystoscopy, a least for reassurance if nothing of concern is identified. This will make the picture clearer for all us both. Normally, bladder cancer wouldn't have been the first suspicion without your past history!

I hope this answers your query fully. Please, feel free to ask more questions if need be.
Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Noticed bleeding during urination. Urine test showed 120-13o rbc's and 5-8 wbc's and distinct trace of albumin. Meaning? 3 hours later
i did a urine culture test and am taking an appoijntment for cystoscopy!

thanks

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good plan, continue

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

These are the right things to do. I wish you the very best of outcomes.
Thanks again for having offered me this opportunity to address your health query today.

You may also consider closing the discussion at this point if you have no other related follow up question. Please, do well to also write a short review to help us ameliorate our services in order to better serve you in future.

Dr, Ditah, MD