Noticed bleeding during intercourse and have dermatographic urticaria. Ovarian cancer?

I am waiting for an ultrasound scan because i have been experiencing problem periods and recently started bleeding inbetween and after sex i have also had bloating feeling full quickly urinary symptoms and im on medication for indegestion....the dr examined me and did an XXXXXXX and said she wants me now to have an ultrasound scan....also the last 2 weeks i have developed something called dermatographic there a connection with this skin complaint and ovarian cancer?
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen. I'm sorry you're having problems.
Dermatographic urticaria, or dermographism, can exist as an isolated phenomenon (that is, not associated with another condition), or it can be related to an underlying disorder, such as thyroid disease or an autoimmune illness (e.g., lupus, sarcoidosis, or rheumatoid arthritis). Uncommonly, dermographism is associated with an XXXXXXX malignancy. Many of these disorders can cause menstrual irregularities, though, so your menstrual history alone isn't particularly helpful in zeroing in on your diagnosis. (It's also possible your dermographism and menstrual problems are totally unrelated.)
I did come across one case report of dermographism and sarcoidosis in a 43-year-old woman who had ovarian cancer, but such a presentation seems quite rare (this case was cited in the Nov/Dec 2005 issue of Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology). Since ovarian cancer is unusual in women younger than 40, such a presentation in a 31-year-old would be exceedingly rare.
Unfortunately, it's impossible to diagnose your condition without a thorough evaluation. You're statistically more likely to be dealing with thyroid disease or an autoimmune illness than an underlying malignancy, but your doctor clearly had her reasons for ordering the ultrasound; if that study doesn't identify any problems, she'll undoubtedly order additional tests.
I hope that answers your question, and I hope things go well with your ultrasound. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Good luck!