Noticed bleeding and scabs in throat after tonsillectomy. Should I be worried?

My daughter hemorrhaged severly at day fifteen post op tonsillectomy--from an artery. She is three. She was recauterized and we are now at day 12 from recauterization. I looked in her throat and saw scabs are still there. I couldn't see much but I did see something black looking in the back of her throat.. Am concerned about bleeding, maybe it was a clot. Should I be worried? Is that normal?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 14 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

First of all you will have to ensure that she is not bleeding from the operative site again.You can check it by keeping watch on her sputum.

The black think is likely to be cauterised tissue with blood products. Old blood products generally change into black scabs. Please do not disturb or try to remove these scabs as they are preventing further bleed. They will go off on their own.

If there is no active bleeding or any other symptoms, then there is no need to be worried.

Hope this answers your question.