Noticed bleeding after sex. Bleeding for 3 days. Taking plan B pill after unprotected sex. Had c section. What is causing the bleeding?

Critical Care Specialist
So I had a csection on April 25 2013 I started my period on XXXXXXX 24th ( heavy but normal 5 days ) . It seems that every time me and my husband have sex the next morning I wake up and I'm bleeding. The bleeding process happens for about 3 days and its pretty heavy . Not on birth control pills at the time but I use the plan b pill every time after unprotected sex ? What could be causing the bleeding because during inter course there is no pain . This is my 3 rd child the first 2 were vaginal this was my first csection
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later

You are not very clear in your question. Is post coital bleeding (bleeding after sex) occurs every time after sex or the bleeding occurs after sex when you take plan B ?

Both these conditions are different and have different management.

If bleeding occur when you take plan B after unprotected sex .This is normal and there is nothing to worry. This is the side effect of plan B. Bleeding after taking plan B is very unpredictable and it can vary from light to very heavy and can last from 2 to 3 days to many days.It doesn't need any treatment.

If bleeding occurs after sex even without plan B .This bleeding needs to be investigated.

Most common cause of post coital bleeding is cervical dysplasia in which there are abnormal types of cells in the cervix and condition is a pre cancerous. Cervicitis that is inflammation or infection of cervix is second common cause. Cervical polyps ranks the next followed by cervical ectropion in which the tissue lining of inner side of the cervix comes out onto the outer surface of cervix
Infection of vagina yeast or sexually transmitted diseases (STD) also produces post coital bleeding.
Uterine polyps,endometrosis and uterine fibroids are some other causes of post coital bleeding.
I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist who may examine you to determine the cause of post coital bleeding.

She may perform colposcopy (examination of cervix with a machine) on you and may take cervical smear to look for infection or abnormal cells and may prescribe you treatment depending upon cause.
Hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq