Noticed black viscose stools. Feeling tired and dizzy. Taking metformin, synthroid and oxybutinin. Serious?

about a week ago I started to have these black viscose stool ad felt very tired. yesterday i started getting dizyzy went to the store and tested my blood pressure. It wa 127 over 51 then went up 109 over 60 It is usually anouy 100 over 70. I leve for greece at 6:00 Pm today. how do i know what is serious because i want to go. 74 years old and tke metformin 500 (3 x) , synthroid (200) oxybutinin (25), and metroropl (25) twice a dayand pravastatin (10)
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 52 minutes later

Your blood pressure seems to be fine but the black viscose stools need to be taken seriously. They may herald the onset of bleeding from upper gastrointestinal tract. Coupled with the fact you felt dizzy, this may suggest a low hemoglobin resulting from that.

I feel that you need to see a gastroenterologist soon and get some basic blood work done. Possibly an endoscopy is also required.

I am afraid you may need to cancel the Greece trip. There is definitely a possibility that nothing is wrong but you can't take a chance.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further followup queries, if any.