Noticed black stuff while blowing nose. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
I've seen black stuff on the tissue from time to time when I wipe or blow my nose. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your nose examined by an ENT Specialist and get a video nasal endoscopy done. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done only if your doctor advises one after your clinical examination. Share the images here for an accurate assessment.

2. Common causes for black nasal discharge are air and environmental pollution, sinusits, nasal polyps, fungal infections and chronic nasal bleed / clots. Was the blood in the urine confirmed on examination? Is there a foul smell from the nose? Is this black stuff also seen in the throat or has ever been coughed out? Do you smoke?

3. Have your blood tests been done? Is your hemoglobin normal? Is your Coagulogram normal? Is your blood sugar normal?

4. You may share your Nasal endoscopy images, CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan, if any, and investigation (routine blood) reports here for more specific treatment options.