Noticed black spots on tonsils, swollen lymph glands. Diagnosed with strep throat. On antibiotics. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
black spots on tonsils diagnosed as strept throat 2 weeks of antibiotic still black now on steroids swollen lymph glands
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 46 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Black spots on the tonsil are unusual. If you can upload a close-up image, it may help.

2. Since you are on steroids, some of the possible causes are:
A. Fungal superadded infection (black spots, long course of antibiotics)
B. Food particles or debris trapped in the tonsillar crypts (dark foodstuff)
C. Dried bleeding spots on the tonsils (black spots)
D. A worsening of the infection (swollen lymph nodes, black necrotic tissue)
E. Dehydration

3. Hence I would urge you to seek immediate medical attention. A throat swab and direct examination will help. Other complications may be ruled out.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.