Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed black spots on teeth. Is it decaying? Can I clean them?

Hi Doctor,

My name is XXXXX and I smoke pretty often. Though I have reduced it to a good extent I saw some black spots in my teeth as if it is decaying. Is there any way that I can clean ,meanwhile I stop smoking forever.

Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 25 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Smoking causes extrinsic staining of teeth.It can be very well treated by professional cleaning (scaling) of teeth and then further polishing it for a smooth and shiny surface.

It can be done within an hour or less than that based upon the amount of stains present on your teeth.

In case you have sensitivity in any tooth then it can be decay & you need to get it diagnosed followed by further treatment plan.

I would also suggest you to quit smoking as early as possible because it can lead to further problems.

Hope I have answered your query.

For further query please let me know.