Noticed black spot on penis. Hair started coming out from each spot. Should I be worried for STD?

Hi I have about 4 very small black dots on the shaft of my penis. They do not itch nor are they bumpy but they are flat there is a hair coming out of each one. Can someone please tell me something about this. How do I know this is not an STD? I have been religiously practicing safe sex. Thank you!

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
The spots on penis you are describing appear to be Fordyce's spots.

The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland: normally, sebaceous glands are only found in association with a hair follicle. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They aren't infectious and are a natural occurrence on the body.

Vaporising laser treatments such as CO2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern. However, I consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment. Laser treatment can often leave significant scarring.

I suggest you not to worry about this condition. These are not due to any STD. If you are still concerned about cosmetic appearance I advise you to consult a dermatologist and show your spots. Direct examination and seeing the spots by the doctor will help in accurate diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.