Noticed black floaters in eye. Eye test done and got clear. What could be the cause?

I had a large and thick black floater suddenly appear in my left eye, along with almost a screen of tiny, pin-size black bubbles. I left work immediately, went to the eye doctor, and he did a very thorough exam, with dilation, did the glaucoma check, as well as images of the retina. Everything--optic nerve, retina, macula--looked fine and healthy. Plus, he didn't see any large floaters. I have plenty of old floaters, so I know what they look like. I'd never had the dots before, but they moved just like a floater. The weird part is that by the time I left the eye doctor, both the floater and the dots were gone. He couldn't explain it. So I thought I'd post it here. Is there a chance that maybe a giant floater was beginning to form and pull away from the retina, but then went back?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I must confess its actually a mind searching experience you describe. The changes in the floater is really very unusual and medically not described in classical texts.
I have a few suggestions, so we get a clear understanding and global view about this condition.
Repeating a proper opthalmologic evaluation in a few weeks would be very appropriate to know the state of the eyes situation with respect to this. This shall give us a good impression of either fluctuations or complete disappearance of the floaters.
It s particular interesting to me, and I suggest this follow up be done this way for a clearer clinical appreciation.
Hope this helps, and predisposed to answer any further questions if need be.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.